Friday, June 17, 2011

TOO MUCH CHANGE


Some years ago a well-respected British pastor took the trolley early Monday morning from his home in the suburbs to the downtown section of London. He paid the driver as he got on. Preoccupied with his busy schedule and the needs of his large congregation, it wasn't until he was seated that he realized the driver had given him too much change. Fingering his coins, his first thought was an alien one, "my, how wonderfully God provides!". But the longer he sat there, the less comfortable he became. His conscience telegraphed a strong signal of conviction within him. As he walked to the door to get off near his parish, he looked at the driver and quietly said, "When I got on, you accidentally gave me too much change."

The driver, with a wry smile, replied. "It was no accident at all. You see, I was in your congregation yesterday and heard your sermon on honesty. I just thought I'd put you to the test, Reverend."

No comments:

Post a Comment