Tuesday, September 6, 2011

WORTHLESS COMFORTERS

How can your empty clichés comfort me? (Job 21:34, NLT)

In his book, “The view from a Hearse.” Joe Bayly writes: "I was sitting, torn by grief. Someone came and talked to me of God's dealings, of why it happened, of hope beyond the grave. He talked constantly. He said things I knew were true. I was unmoved, except to wish he'd go away. He finally did.

"Another came and sat beside me. He didn't talk. He didn't ask me leading questions. He just sat beside me for an hour or more, listened when I said something, answered briefly, prayed simply, left.

"I was moved. I was comforted. I hated to see him go."

Sometimes we don’t know what to say to the bereaved. But often the less said the better. May God help us to be wise comforters and to weep with those that weep and rejoice with those that rejoice.

DAY LIGHTERS -365 thoughts to ignite your day - available from amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment